Arriva London Brixton Bus Garage
Address: 39 Streatham Hill, London, SW2 4TB | Garage Code: BN | Opened: 1892 | Vehicles Allocated: 117
Vehicle Types Operated:
Alexander Dennis Limited Enviro400H City | Wrightbus Eclipse Gemini 2H | Wrightbus New Bus for London
In 1892, the London Tramways Company constructed a depot on the site to house cable operated trams that they had begun to operate from Kennington to Telford Avenue. The site was also used for housing the cable winding equipment used for day to day operation.
The London Tramways Company operation was taken over by London County Council Tramways in 1899 and lasted until 1904 when the depot was closed to allow its conversion to electric tram operation, this being completed and the re-opening happening in 1906.
In 1933 following the transfer of LCC operations by the London Passenger Transport Board, the depot was extended onto the site of the adjacent water board property. This led to a pair of buildings being constructed either side of a large water main that existed on the new site.
Following World War II, reconstruction work began on the site to bury the water main and convert the existing arrangement from two buildings into one large depot, this was completed in 1949.
With the instigation of Operation Tramaway in July 1950, the gradual wind-down of tram services commenced and the last trams operated from Brixton in 1951, being replaced by AEC Regent III motorbuses.
Brixton was the last garage in London to operate AEC Routemasters, with Route 159 being the final route to convert to low floor operation in December 2005.