Arriva London Croydon Bus Garage
Address: Brighton Road, Croydon CR2 6EL | Garage Code: TC | Opened: 1915 | Vehicles Allocated: 104
Vehicle Types Operated:
Alexander Dennis Limited Enviro200 | Alexander Dennis Limited Enviro400 | Wrightbus Pulsar Gemini | Wrightbus Eclipse Gemini 2 | Optare Metrocity
Croydon Garage was constructed and opened by the London General Omnibus Company in 1915 and, following a partnership agreement, was operated from the outset by Thomas Tilling (hence the garage code TC for Tilling Croydon).
During the early 1930s, the decision was taken to use the garage to house roofed double deck vehicles and, as the garage was not high enough to achieve this, reconstruction works were carried out on the roof at the time.
The onset of World War II in 1939 led to German air raids and overnight on May 10, Thornton Heath, Upper Norwood, Addiscombe and parts of South Croydon were heavily bombed. During the raid in South Croydon, two high explosive bombs fell on the bus garage, igniting the fuel tanks of the 56 buses parked there, killing 7 people and destroying both the garage building itself. Following the end of the war, the garage was reconstructed and reopened in 1954.
On 1 April 1989 London Buses was divided into 11 separate business units, with South London Transport taking ownership of Croydon.In January 1995, as part of the privatisation of London bus services, the Cowie Group purchased South London from its management. This was followed by the rebranding of Cowie Group to Arriva in November 1997.