Arriva London Stamford Hill Bus Garage
Address: Rookwood Road London N16 6SS | Garage Code: SF | Opened: 1907 | Vehicles Allocated: 68
Vehicle Types Operated
Construction of Stamford Hill was commenced by the London County Council to house a number of its fleet of electric trams in late 1905, with the depot opening to traffic in February 1907.
Following the acquisition of the LCC Tramway system by the London Passenger Transport Board in 1933, Stamford Hill was extensively rebuilt to allow the housing and operation of trolleybuses, re-opening in 1936 with services commencing in February 1939.
Further reconstruction and development occured at Stamford Hill in late 1960, with the withdrawal of trolleybuses in London. Stamford Hill was converted for motor bus use and re-opened again in July 1961.
The privatisation process of London Buses began in April 1989 and Stamford Hill was allocated to the Leaside Buses business unit, operating under this name until privatisation in January 1995 when the business unit was sold to Cowie Group.
Following a loss of contracted routes, alongside the reorganisation of the Cowie Group business, Stamford Hill Garage was closed on 13 May 1995, with all existing routes transferring other garages. The site was mothballed in March 2000 and lay dormant until Arriva London (Cowie Group rebranded in 1998) closed Clapton Garage and reopened Stamford Hill in April 2006.