Harringay Green Lanes London Overground Station
Address: Green Lanes, N4 1DR | Opened: June 1880 | Station Code: HRY | Fare Zone: 3
London Overground Line(s) Served: Gospel Oak to Barking Line
Gospel Oak to Barking Line: 4 Trains per hour
Although the Tottenham & Hampstead Joint Railway opened a line between Tottenham North Junction (on the Great Eastern Railway) and Highgate Road On 21 July 1868, it was not until 1 June 1880 that a station named Green Lanes was opened here, after the Midland Railway had assumed control of the line.
Within 3 years of opening the station was renamed to Harringay Park, Green Lanes. Further renaming to Harringay Park occurred on 18 June 1951 when the station underwent reconstruction. The original wooden platform buildings were replaced with brick and concrete structures, while the platforms were lengthened in connection with a rise in traffic from the adjacent Harringay Stadium, which became the third renaming of the station on 27 October 1958.
The station goods yard, situated just to the west was closed on 3 February 1964 and the site is now occupied by the Railway Fields nature reserve.
The fourth renaming of the station occurred under Network Southeast ownership, when the station became Harringay East on 12 May 1990, following the closure of the Stadium 3 years earlier. The final change of name to Harringay Green Lanes came on 8 July 1991.
In late 2003, both platforms were shortened as a result of subsidence of the land beneath them. The original street level station building still survives and is in use as a cafe.
Notes: Harringay Green Lanes is an official TfL Out of Station Interchange with Harringay National Rail Station on the East Coast Mainline, which is located 0.3miles away.