Arriva London Thornton Heath Bus Garage
Address: 719 London Road, CR7 6AU | Garage Code: TH | Opened: 1879 | Vehicles Allocated: 97
Vehicle Types Operated
Alexander Dennis Enviro200 | Alexander Dennis Enviro400
A depot was originally opened on the site in 1879 by the Croydon and Thornton Heath Tramway Company to house their fleet of horse trams. The depot was demolished and underwent reconstruction in connection with the conversion to electric traction in 1901.
The reconstruction of the depot was planned to house 26 trams, however this proved to be insufficient and an extension to upgrade capacity to 43 cars was constructed and opened in 1902.
As part of the 1950 tram replacement program, Thornton Heath was earmarked for closure and reconstruction as a bus garage. The closure actually occurred in 1949 with the existing trams and staff relocated in Purley depot.
Following demolition, the new bus garage was constructed and was opened in 1951 housing just 54 AEC Regent III vehicles, roughly 50% of its total capacity.
With the break up of London Buses in preparation for privatisation, Thornton Heath and its routes were allocated to the South London business unit on 1 April 1989, trading as South London Transport Limited. Upon privatisation, the business passed to Cowie Group in January 1995 before the company rebranded to Arriva in November 1997.
Thornton Heath Bus Garage celebrated its Diamond Jubilee in 2011.