Blackhorse Road London Overground/Underground Station
Address: Blackhorse Road, Walthamstow E17 6NH | Opened: July 1894 | Station Code: BHO | Fare Zone: 3
London Overground Line(s) Served: Gospel Oak to Barking Line
London Underground Line(s) Served: Victoria Line
Gospel Oak to Barking Line: 4 Trains per hour
Victoria Line: Peak 36 Trains per Hour | Off Peak 27 Trains per Hour
Blackhorse Road opened on 9 July 1894 as part of a new line built by the Tottenham & Forest Gate Railway from South Tottenham to Woodgrange Park. The arrival of the railway actually changed the surrounding area from what was a rather middle class suburb to a more industrial setting.
In 1902, joint ownership of the line and its stations was granted to the Great Eastern Railway and the Midland Railway. Nationalisation in 1948 saw station ownership passed to British Railways.
London Underground’s Victoria Line arrived here on 1 September 1968 and was constructed with separate station buildings to the British Rail station. Indeed, it was not until 14 December 1981 that British Rail closed their station and resited the platforms further to the west, whilst also moving their ticket issuing facilities into the Underground booking hall to provide a more convenient interchange.