South Tottenham London Overground Station
Address: High Road, Tottenham N15 6UJ | Opened: June 1871 | Station Code: STO | Fare Zone: 3
London Overground Line(s) Served: Gospel Oak to Barking Line
Gospel Oak to Barking Line: 4 Trains per hour
Although the Tottenham & Hampstead Junction Railway constructed a line from Tottenham Hale (then Tottenham) to Highgate Road in 1868, a station was not built on the site until May 1871, named ‘South Tottenham and Stamford Hill.’ The first trains that served the station were operated by the Midland Railway, who had taken over the Tottenham & Hampstead Junction Railway, in 1872.
On 9 July 1894, the Tottenham & Forest Gate Railway opened a new line from South Tottenham and Stamford Hill to Woodgrange Park, where it connected to the existing London, Tilbury & Southend Railway line to Barking. From opening, the Tottenham & Forest Gate Railway services did not terminate at South Tottenham, but continued to other destinations reached via the Tottenham & Hampstead Junction Railway line.
In 1902, joint ownership of the line and its stations was granted to the Great Eastern Railway and the Midland Railway. Nationalisation in 1948 saw station ownership passed to British Railways, who renamed the station to South Tottenham in 1949.
In 1980 with the service reduced to one train an hour, staff were withdrawn from the station and the ticket office was closed. However, the train service was doubled in 1981 and, following the takeover by London Overground in 2007, station staff were re-introduced and the station has been progressively modernised.
Notes: South Tottenham is an official TfL Out of Station Interchange with Seven Sisters London Underground & National Rail Station on the Victoria/Lea Valley Lines, which is located 0.2miles away.