Leyton Midland Road London Overground Station
Address: Midland Rd, Leyton E10 6JT | Opened: July 1894 | Station Code: LEM | Fare Zone: 3
London Overground Line(s) Served: Gospel Oak to Barking Line
Gospel Oak to Barking Line: 4 Trains per hour
‘Leyton’ station was opened by the Tottenham & Forest Gate Railway as part of their new line from South Tottenham to Woodgrange Park on 9 July 1894.
During the First World War, on 17 August 1915, a German Zeppelin dropped three bombs on or near the station, resulting in the destruction of the ticket office and a billiard hall located in the railway arches under the line. Several nearby houses were also destroyed or damaged and four people lost their lives.
Following Nationalisation in 1948, ownership of the station passed to British Railways and it was renamed Leyton Midland Road on 1 May 1949. Due to a downturn in traffic, the station goods yard, located just to the east, was closed on 6 May 1968.
In late 1980, the Greater London Council took the decision to remove the existing ticket office and replace it with a new facility located on Midland Road itself. However, this was subsequently demolished a few years later when the station became unstaffed.
With the takeover of the Gospel Oak to Barking line in 2007, Leyton Midland Road has seen a large amount of investment, benefitting from a range of improvements in the subsequent years, although, as a consequence, the Midland Road entrance to the station was closed.