Wanstead Park London Overground Station
Address: Woodgrange Road, Wanstead E7 0HX | Opened: July 1894 | Station Code: WNP | Fare Zone: 3
London Overground Line(s) Served: Gospel Oak to Barking Line
Gospel Oak to Barking Line: 4 Trains per hour
Wanstead Park was opened by the Tottenham & Forest Gate Railway on their line between South Tottenham and Woodgrange Park on 9th July 1894.
The station remained in a pretty much ‘as opened’ state until the station’s wooden platform awnings were removed in 1970. Further changes were made in 1980, when the booking office was closed and replaced by a portable cabin. This cabin lasted until 1989 when it was destroyed in a fire, leading to the station becoming unstaffed.
When the station was built, its covered stairways were located towards the Barking end of the platforms, but this was changed in 1998 when new stairways were opened that led out onto Woodgrange Road.
Following the takeover of the line by Transport for London and the establishing of the London Overground, Wanstead Park has seen very little modernisation and refurbishment, remaining unstaffed and with none of the original station buildings surviving.