Go Ahead London Camberwell Bus Garage
Address: 1 Warner Road, Camberwell SE5 9LU | Subsidiary: London Central | Garage Code: Q |
Opened: 1919 | Vehicles Allocated: 195
Vehicle Types Operated
Alexander Dennis Limited Enviro200EV | Alexander Dennis Limited Enviro400 MMC | MCV Evoseti | Wrightbus Eclipse Gemini 3 |
Wrightbus New Bus for London (NB4L)
Camberwell Bus Garage was constructed in 1914 but did not come into its intended use until 1919 due to being requisitioned for the war effort.
With the onset of World War II, Chiswock works was required for use as an aircraft factory and Camberwell, along with 4 other central area garages (Chalk Farm, Elmers End, Muswell Hill and Willesden) were selected to carry out body overhauls. However, Camberwell was bombed in late 1940 resulting in 4 buses being destroyed and 13 seriously damaged, leading to the reduction in overhauls conducted at the garage.
The garage underwent extensive modernisation in the early 1950s, with a new welfare and operational block constructed alongside an enlarged parking area. As part of the new building, a new workshop and pit area was provided in a separate block which undertook heavy maintenance for both Camberwell and the adjacent Walworth garage.
In 2005, Camberwell became home to the first hybrid electric buses for use in London when six vehicles were trialled on Route 360. Further examples arrived in 2010 and these vehicles were replaced with full electric buses in November 2017.