Go Ahead London New Cross Bus Garage
Address: 208 New Cross Road, London, SE14 5UH | Subsidiary: London Central | Garage Code: NX |
Opened: 1906 | Vehicles Allocated: 201
Vehicle Types Operated
Alexander Dennis Limited Enviro400 | Alexander Dennis Limited Enviro400 MMC | Mercedes Benz Citaro O530 |
Wrightbus Eclipse Gemini 2 | Wrightbus New Bus for London
New Cross was opened by London County Council in 1906 as the second largest tram depot in London (Holloway was slightly larger).
In the midst of the 1926 General Strike in support of the miners, the tram crews at New Cross joined the picket lines resulting in the use of strikebreakers to ensure that trams kept operating.
On 7th May of that year, a crowd of around two and a half thousand strikers blocking the depot entrance were baton charged by the Police, resulting in what was described at the time as ‘Rowdyism in New Cross’ by the Kentish Mercury newspaper.
Following the formation of the London Passenger Transport Board in 1933, the London County Coucil relinquished control of its tram network to the new entity.
The LPTB took the decision to close the London Tram network and the last tram ran from Charlton to New Cross on Saturday 5th July 1952, with a large crowd of wellwishers at the depot to bid farewell.
The end of trams in London was not the end for New Cross Depot, as it re-opened on the following day as a motorbus garage, said to be the largest in London with capacity for 300 vehicles.
In the run up to privatisation of the London Bus network, London Buses was divided into 12 individual business units. New Cross garage was included in the London Central unit and operated under this subsidiary from 1 April 1989. Privatisation saw the London Central unit purchased by Go Ahead Group in September 1994 and the garage continues to operate under this company.