F33 Whitechapel Fire Station
Command District: Eastern | Opened: 1931 | Address: 27 Commercial Road, Whitechapel, E1 1LD
Allocation: 1 x Mercedes Benz Atego 1327 Dual Pump Ladder (DPL)
Notes: A fire station has existed on this site since in 1874, the Metropolitan Board of Works decided to replace the existing stations on Church Lane and in Wellclose Square. The original station comprised of a four-storey building with stables and a yard to the rear. This was extended in 1899 with the building of new appliance bays in the yard as the existing appliance bay doors were not suitable for the horse drawn appliances stationed here.
The station was adapted for motor vehicle use in 1911 but the London County Council decided that the split engine room arrangement was not suitable and they set about designing a replacement in 1928. The original station buildings were demolished and the current station built in their place.