Arriva London Wood Green Bus Garage
Address: Jolly Butchers Hill N22 7TZ | Garage Code: WN | Opened: 1904 | Vehicles Allocated: 132
Vehicle Types Operated
Alexander Dennis Limited Enviro200 | Alexander Dennis Limited Enviro200 MMC | Alexander Dennis Limited Enviro400 | Wrightbus Eclipse Gemini 2/2H
Although a tram depot was originally erected on the site in 1856, it was not until 1885 that the depot came into use, utilising steam trams operated by the North London Tramways Company.
Following the collapse of the North London Tramways Company in 1890, the North Metropolitan Electric Tramways Company purchased the depot and tracks of the NLTC from the official receiver. The North Metropolitan decided to cease using the steam trams and instead substituted a fleet of horse drawn vehicles.
1902 saw the depot and its lines purchased by Metropolitan Electric Tramways Limited. A new electrified line was added from Wood Green to Finsbury Park and this began operation on 22 July 1904 with the existing depot being demolished and rebuilt for electric operation at this time.
The existing line from Wood Green to Ponders End previously operated by the North Metropolitan was electrified in 1905, ending the period of horse tram operation at the depot.
Operational requirements saw the depot expanded to house additional vehicles in 1908, with capacity increased from 62 to 87. Further remodelling and capacity increases were made in 1912.
Following the formation of the London Passenger Transport Board on 1 July 1933, Metropolitan Electric Tramways Limited became part of the new body and the decision was taken to cease tramway operations at Wood Green.
The tram depot closed in early 1937, with the tram fleet moved to other depots in the area. This allowed for Wood Green to be comprehensively remodelled and partially rebuilt to accomodate a fleet of 108 trolleybuses. The new depot opened, with the first trolleybuses commencing operation in May 1938.
Early 1960 saw the beginning of another garage transformation towards the conversion to motor bus operation and the withdrawal of the trolleybuses. Partial re-allocation was finally achieved in April 1961, with the remainder following suit in November of that year.
The privatisation process of London Buses began in April 1989 and Tottenham was allocated to the Leaside Buses business unit, operating under this name until privatisation in January 1995 when the business unit was sold to Cowie Group, who rebranded as Arriva in April 1998. At this time, Wood Green became the headquarters of Arriva London North.