Go Ahead London Peckham Bus Garage
Address: Blackpool Road, Peckham SE15 3SE | Subsidiary: London Central | Garage Code: PM |
Opened: 1994 | Vehicles Allocated: 73
Vehicle Types Operated
Alexander Dennis Limited Enviro200 | Alexander Dennis Limited Enviro400 | Alexander Dennis Limited Enviro400 MMC |
MCV Evoseti | Wrightbus SRM
The original Peckham Bus Garage, designed by Wallis, Gilbert and Partners and located in nearby Bull Yard was opened in 1951.
In the run up to Privatisation, the garage was found to have severe problems with its roof. The cost of repair, along with the projected value of the land the garage occupied, led to the decision to close the garage in 1994.
On the day of closure a new facility, formerly a Council depot, was opened in Blackpool Road. The new facility operated on a low cost basis and had a capacity of 75 vehicles.
The former 1951 garage was demolished in 1995 and the site became an extension to the local Safeway (now Morrisons) supermarket, as well as becoming the site of Peckham bus station.
The new Peckham garage was the first in London to operate Alexander Dennis ALX400 bodied Volvo low floor vehicles, starting on Route 63 in 2000.
Peckham won bus garage of the year in 2004, although this was somewhat of a bad omen as it lost almost half of its workload in the following year’s tender awards.