July 18, 2024

LSPhotography Blog

Articles and News related to London's Emergency Services and Public Transport

Acton Town London Underground Station

London Underground Acton Town Station

Details of London Underground Acton Town Station, including Address, Lines Served, Service Pattern and History.

Acton Town Station



Address: Gunnersbury Lane, London W3 8HN
Opened: July 1879
Station Code: ACT
Fare Zone: 3


London Underground Line(s) Served:

District Line – Ealing Broadway Branch
Piccadilly Line – Heathrow & Uxbridge Branches


Service Pattern(s):

District Line – 6 trains per hour to Ealing Broadway or Upminster
Piccadilly Line –

6 trains per hour Cockfosters – Heathrow Terminal 5 (via Terminals 1, 2, 3)
6 trains per hour Cockfosters – Heathrow Terminal 4
3 trains per hour Cockfosters – Uxbridge
3 trains per hour Cockfosters – Rayners Lane
6 trains per hour Arnos Grove – Northfields


London Underground Acton Town Disused Platform
Former Platform 5 was used for the South Acton shuttle.

Station History

Mill Hill Park station was opened on July 1st 1879 by the District Railway, providing a temporary terminus for their new extension from Turnham Green towards Ealing Broadway.

The terminus lasted for four years until, on May 1st 1883 the District opened a new branch from the station to Hounslow Town, followed by another new line to Park Royal & Twyford Abbey on 23rd June 1903.

Further changes to the station and its services came on June 13th 1905, when a short platform was opened just to the North of the existing eastbound island platform and the lines were electrified simultaneously. A single-car service was originally operated from this platform to Hounslow West and Uxbridge, but this was later curtailed to South Acton on February 15th 1932.

The original brick station building, designed by John Wolfe_Barry, was reconstructed in February 1910 before the following month saw renaming to Acton Town Station. Between mid 1931 and 1932, the station building was demolished, before being replaced by the current Charles Holden structure of brick, reinforced concrete and glass.

July 4th 1932 saw the Piccadilly Line extended from its current terminus at Hammersmith, sharing the District Railway tracks as far as Ealing Common. At this time, the Piccadilly Line replaced the existing service to South Harrow, leaving the District to serve Hounslow West or Ealing Broadway.

Piccadilly Line services were again altered on 9th January 1933 when they began sharing the District Line tracks as far as Northfields, before extending to Hounslow West on 13th March of that year. With this change, District Line services along the Hounslow branch ceased on 10th October 1964.

Also during this period, the South Acton shuttle service ceased due to lack of patronage, with the final service running on February 28th 1959.

The station’s design by Charles Holden has been recognized for its architectural significance and was granted Grade II Listed Building status on May 17, 1994.