Go Ahead London – Putney Bus Garage (AF)
Address: Chelverton Road, London SW15 1RN
Subsidiary: London General
Garage Code: AF
Opened: 1912 (Current Build: 1985)
Peak Vehicle Requirement: 106
Vehicle Types Operated
Alexander Dennis Limited Enviro 400
Alexander Dennis Limited Enviro400 MMC
Wrightbus Eclipse Gemini 2
Wrightbus Eclipse Gemini 3
Chelverton Road can lay claim to being home to a bus garage since 1888 when the London General Omnibus Company opened stables and garage facility for its horse bus operation in the area. The garage was subsequently rebuilt during the conversion to motorbus operation in 1912.
Chelverton Road was rebuilt again in 1935/6, with new office facilities, new staff accommodation and a new entrance with the remaining buildings on the site undergoing modernisation at this time. The garage became the first in London to operate the AEC Regent III class, commencing in 1939 and later in World War II, under-utilisation saw the garage become a store for de-licensed vehicles.
Following the closure of nearby Putney Bridge (F) garage in 1958, Chelverton Road garage was renamed to Putney in 1963.
29 June 1984 saw the introduction of the London Regional Transport Act which necessitated the formation of an arms-length subsidiary company, London Buses Limited and it was under this company that Putney was again modernised in 1985.
Initially, bus services continued as before but, on 1 April 1989, London Buses was divided into 12 individual business units to prepare for the sell-off to private companies. Putney Garage and its routes were allocated to the London General business unit, which was responsible for routes in the South West area of London.
The London General business unit was purchased by its management in 1994, although this only lasted for two years before the business was sold on to the Go Ahead Group, who still operate the garage today.