July 18, 2024

LSPhotography Blog

Articles and News related to London's Emergency Services and Public Transport

Wood Green Bus Garage (WN)

Arriva London Wood Green Bus Garage

Arriva London Wood Green Bus Garage

Details of Arriva London's Wood Green Bus Garage, including Address, Allocation and History.

Wood Green Bus Garage

Operator: Arriva London
Address: Jolly Butchers Hill, Wood Green N22 7TZ
Garage Code:  WN
Opened:  1904
Peak Vehicle Requirement: 132

Vehicle Types Operated

Alexander Dennis Limited Enviro200
Alexander Dennis Limited Enviro200 MMC
Alexander Dennis Limited Enviro400
Wrightbus Eclipse Gemini 2
Wrightbus Eclipse Gemini 2H
Wrightbus Eclipse Gemini 3

Garage History

Wood Green Bus Garage was constructed as a tram depot on the site in 1856. However, it was not until 1885 that the depot came into use, utilising steam trams operated by the North London Tramways Company.

Following the collapse of the North London Tramways Company in 1890, the North Metropolitan Electric Tramways Company purchased the depot and tracks of the NLTC from the official receiver. The North Metropolitan ceased using steam trams and operated a fleet of horse-drawn vehicles instead.

1902 saw the depot and its lines purchased by Metropolitan Electric Tramways Limited. A new electrified line was added from Wood Green to Finsbury Park beginning operation on 22 July 1904 with the existing depot being demolished and rebuilt for electric operation.

The existing line from Wood Green to Ponders End previously operated by the North Metropolitan was electrified in 1905, ending the period of horse tram operation at the depot.

Operational requirements saw the depot expanded to house additional vehicles in 1908, with capacity increased from 62 to 87. Further remodelling and capacity increases were made in 1912.

Following the formation of the London Passenger Transport Board on 1 July 1933, Metropolitan Electric Tramways Limited became part of the new body, and the decision was taken to cease tramway operations at Wood Green.

The tram depot closed in early 1937, with the tram fleet moved to other depots in the area. This allowed for Wood Green to be comprehensively remodelled and partially rebuilt to accommodate a fleet of 108 trolleybuses. The new depot opened, with the first trolleybuses commencing operation in May 1938.

Early 1960 saw the beginning of another garage transformation towards the conversion to motor bus operation and the withdrawal of the trolleybuses. Partial re-allocation was finally achieved in April 1961, with the remainder following suit in November of that year.

The privatisation process of London Buses began in April 1989 and Tottenham was allocated to the Leaside Buses business unit, operating under this name until privatisation in January 1995 when the business unit was sold to Cowie Group, who rebranded as Arriva in April 1998. At this time, Wood Green became the headquarters of Arriva London North.