July 17, 2024

LSPhotography Blog

Articles and News related to London's Emergency Services and Public Transport

Seven Sisters Station (SVS)

London Overground Seven Sisters Station

London Overground Seven Sisters Station

Details of London Overground's Seven Sisters Station, including Address, Service Pattern and History.

Seven Sisters Station



Address: Seven Sisters Road, Tottenham, London, N15 5LA
Opened: 22 July 1872
Station Code: SVS
Fare Zone: 3


London Overground Line(s) Served:

Lea Valley Lines (Cheshunt & Enfield Town Branches)

Service Pattern(s):

Two trains per hour to Cheshunt
Enfield Town
Peak: Four trains per hour
Off-Peak: Two trains per hour
London Liverpool Street
Peak: Six trains per hour
Off-Peak: Four trains per hour

Interchange(s)

London Underground: Victoria Line

OSI: South Tottenham – Gospel Oak to Barking Line

Seven Sisters London Underground Station Entrance

Station History

Seven Sisters Station, named after a grouping of seven elm trees surrounding a walnut tree in nearby Page Green (which is located at the corner of High Street and Broad Lane), was opened by the Great Eastern Railway (GER) on their Stoke Newington & Edmonton Railway line on 22nd July 1872.

The GER expanded both the station and its services just six years later when, on 1st January 1878, they opened the Palace Gates branch from the station, firstly to Noel Park and later in the year to Palace Gates (Wood Green) Station.

Grouping of the railways in 1923 saw the GER become part of the London North Eastern Railway and the station and line transferred to the new company. Nationalisation in 1948 saw the LNER absorbed into the British Railways Eastern Region.

Electrification of the line between Liverpool Street and Enfield/Cheshunt was completed on 21st November 1960, although the Palace Gates services continued to be steam hauled.

Continually declining patronage of the line saw Palace Gates passenger services withdrawn on 7th January 1963, followed by freight services on 5th October 1964. The branch line and its tracks were swiftly removed with little trace of their existence by the end of 1966.

The construction of the London Underground Victoria Line saw major changes to the station, with planning permission being granted on 24th July 1967.

The works would see a new combined station building being constructed on Seven Sisters Road, meaning the existing West Green Road station entrance would close. A separate ticket hall was constructed for the Victoria Line beneath High Road, being accessed by subways on either side of the street.

Although the Victoria Line commenced running through the station on 1st September 1968, it was not until December of that year that the new combined entrance opened, with passengers for the British Rail lines having to use the West Green Road entrance in the interim.

Seven Sisters was named as a stop on the proposed Crossrail 2 service in May 2013, with a new purpose-built station planned to connect Seven Sisters with South Tottenham station. To date, no planning permission has been granted and the scheme is currently mothballed.

On 31st May 2015, mainline services through the station changed ownership, with London Overground taking over from Abellio Greater Anglia