April 13, 2024

LSPhotography Blog

Articles and News related to London's Emergency Services and Public Transport

London Overground South Kenton Station (SOK)

London Overground South Kenton Station
Details of London Overground’s South Kenton Station, including Address, Service Pattern and History

London Overground South Kenton Station



Address: Windermere Avenue, Wembley, London HA9 8RB
Opened: 3 July 1933
Station Code: SOK
Fare Zone: 4


London Overground Line(s) Served:

Watford DC Lines

Service Pattern(s):

4 trains per hour to London Euston
4 trains per hour to Watford Junction

London Underground Line(s) Served:

Bakerloo Line

Service Pattern:

4 trains per hour to Elephant & Castle
4 trains per hour to Harrow & Wealdstone


Interchange(s)

None


London Overground South Kenton Station
South Kenton Station Underpass Entrance

Station History

The London North Western Railway’s ‘New Line’ from London Euston to Watford Junction was opened in 1912, providing a faster route for passengers travelling between the two stations. However, due to the sparse local population of the area, no station was initially provided at South Kenton.

It wasn’t until the 3rd of July 1933 that a station was finally built, designed by the architect William Henry Hamlyn and opened by the London, Midland, and Scottish Railway.

The new station consisted of a single island platform accessed from both sides of the line by a footbridge. At the time, it was seen as more than adequate for the small local population. However, with the growth of nearby residential areas, the station soon became an important hub for commuters.

In 1948, the nationalisation of the railways saw the ownership of South Kenton Station transfer to British Railways (Midland Region). The station continued to serve the local community, but changes were made in 1964 to improve accessibility. The cumbersome and steep footbridge was removed, and a concrete underpass was built, making it easier for passengers to reach the platforms.

London Underground cut Bakerloo Line services back from Watford Junction to Stonebridge Park on 24th September 1982, however, the service was reinstated to terminate at Harrow & Wealdstone on 4th June 1984.

Following sectorisation of the railways in 1982, the line and station came under the London and Southeast Business Unit, later rebranded to Network Southeast in 1986.

A further and so far final change of management occurred upon privatisation in 1997 when National Express, under their Silverlink Trains subsidiary, assumed control. This lasted for just under ten years when, in November 2007, Transport for London undertook operation of the services under their London Overground brand, while station management was assumed by London Underground.