June 13, 2024

LSPhotography Blog

Articles and News related to London's Emergency Services and Public Transport

Norwood Junction Station (NWD)

London Overground Norwood Junction Station-NWD

Norwood Junction Station

Details of London Overground’s Norwood Junction Station, including Address, Service Pattern and History

Norwood Junction Station



Address: Station Road, South Norwood, London SE25 5AG
Opened: 1st June 1859
Station Code: NWD
Fare Zone: 4


London Overground Line(s) Served:

East London Line

Service Pattern(s):

4 trains per hour to Highbury & Islington
4 Trains per hour to West Croydon


Interchange(s)

National Rail: Southern, Thameslink


London Overground Norwood Junction Station-NWD
Clifford Road Station Building

Station History

Although a station has existed on the Norwood Junction site for over 160 years, it was not the original station for the area it serves. The first station, Jolly Sailor, was provided by the London & Croydon Railway at the junction of High Street and Portland Road in 1839.

Further companies began to use the lines through the station, although they did not provide a stopping service. The London and Brighton Railway arrived in 1841, followed by the South Eastern Railway in 1842.

July 1846 saw the merger of the London and Croydon with the London and Brighton to form the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway. This year also saw the station renamed Norwood, before in 1856 it was named Norwood Junction.

Following the decision to construct new lines to Crystal Palace, the original station was closed on 1st June 1859 when mass remodelling of the site occurred, with the construction of seven platforms and the current station buildings located on Station Road and Clifford Road.

Further development of the site in 1865 saw the LB&SCR build a goods shed adjacent to the Station Road side.

With the passing of the Railways Act 1921, the LB&SCR was merged with the London and South Western and South Eastern and Chatham Railways to form the Southern Railway, commencing operation on 1st January 1923.

The cessation of World War II saw the passing of the Transport Act 1947, with the railways becoming Nationalised and the Southern railway becoming British Railways Southern Region on 1st January 1948.

Very little of note occurred in the following decades until 1982, when the Southern Region of British Railways was sectorised and became the London & South Eastern sector, and later renamed to Network Southeast on 10 June 1986.

Privatisation of the Railways following the Railways Act 1993 saw the station and its lines franchised to Connex, who operated them under their South Central subsidiary.

A further management change occurred on 26th August 2001, when the new franchisee of the line Govia bought out the remaining two years of the Connex agreement to assume services early.

The final management change thus far happened on 27th April 2010 when London Overground assumed operation of the new East London Line, although services did not commence until the 23rd May.