London Overground – Gospel Oak Station (GPO)
Address: Gordon House Rd, NW5 1LT
Opened: January 1860
Station Code: GPO
Fare Zone: 2
London Overground Line(s) Served:
Gospel Oak to Barking Line
North London Line
Gospel Oak to Barking Line: 4 trains per hour
North London Line: 8 trains per hour in each direction
A station was constructed and opened on the current site named ‘Kentish Town’, by the Hampstead Junction Railway on their line connecting the North London Railway to the North and South Western Junction Railway on 2 January 1860. The station was renamed to Gospel Oak when a more appropriately located station (now Kentish Town West) was opened further down the line, receiving the Kentish Town name on 1 April 1867.
21 July 1868 saw the Tottenham & Hampstead Joint Railway open a line between Tottenham North Junction (on the Great Eastern Railway) and Highgate Road with services between here and Fenchurch Street (via Tottenham) operated by the GER. However, the service was a commercial failure and ceased operation entirely in January 1870, along with a planned extension to Gospel Oak, which was also abandoned.
Instead, the line was extended to Kentish Town on what is now the Midland Mainline, opening in October 1870. The planned extension to Gospel Oak was eventually resurrected and opened on June 4 1888, although, due to opposition of their competitors, no connection to the North London Railway was provided.
Following the implementation of the Railways Act 1921, the London, Midland & Scottish Railway conducted an audit of its lines and services and, as a result, the former Tottenham & Hampstead Joint Railway service was diverted to Kentish Town and the platform at Gospel Oak was closed in 1926 and only North London Railway services continued to call at the station.
This operation remained constant until, in early 1981 as part of the works on the Thameslink scheme, the line to Gospel Oak was reinstated and the original platform rebuilt, with all services on the Barking line diverted from Kentish Town.