London Overground – Barking Station (BKG)
Address: Station Parade, Barking IG11 8TU
Opened: 13 April 1854
Station Code: BKG
Fare Zone: 4
London Overground Line(s) Served:
Gospel Oak to Barking Line
London Underground Line(s) Served:
District Line | Hammersmith & City Line
Gospel Oak to Barking Line: 4 trains per hour
District Line: 15 trains per hour in each direction
Hammersmith & City Line: 6 trains per hour in each direction
Barking station was opened by the London, Tilbury & Southend Railway on their new line to Tilbury on 13 April 1854. Following the construction of two further new lines by the LT&SR, the station was extensively rebuilt in 1889.
9 July 1894 saw the Tottenham & Forest Gate Railway (a joint enterprise between the Midland Railway and the London, Tilbury & Southend Railway), open their line which connected to the existing LTSR line at Woodgrange Park. From opening, the Tottenham & Forest Gate Railway services (operated by the Midland Railway) ran through to Barking and beyond.
Services operated by the District Railway arrived at Barking in 1902, however these were withdrawn in 1905 when electrification of the line was paused at East Ham. Barking did not regain its District Line service until the continuation of the electrification arrived in 1908. Further electrification saw the District Line service extended to Upminster in 1932, closely followed by the arrival of Metropolitan Line services in 1936.
Following the nationalisation of British Railways in 1948, the station came under the ownership of the Eastern Region. Architects H.H. Powell and John Ward were charged with designing a new booking hall for the station and construction began in 1959 with the station being reopened by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II in 1961.
The Station booking hall was granted Grade II listed status by English Heritage (now Historic England) on 24th November 1995.