London Overground – Woodgrange Park Station (WGR)
Address: Romford Road, Manor Park E7 8AF
Opened: July 1894
Station Code: WGR
Fare Zone: 3/4
OSI: Manor Park TfL Rail (0.3 miles)
London Overground Line(s) Served:
Gospel Oak to Barking Line
Service Pattern(s): 4 trains per hour in each direction
Although track was first laid through the site by the London, Tilbury & Southend Railway in 1854 on their line from Forest Gate Junction to Grays via Barking, it was not until 9 July 1894 that a station was opened here by the Tottenham & Forest Gate Railway on their line from Tottenham. A short spur line to East Ham was also opened at this time and was served sporadically, as an alternative terminus.
From opening, services through the station were operated by the Midland Railway and reached further than both termini of the line. During ths summer season, a number of trains ran to popular tourist destinations and as such, the platforms at Woodgrange Park were constructed to a greater length in order to accomodate them.
Following declines in traffic, the spur to East Ham was closed in 1958, followed by the closure of the station goods yard on 7 December 1964. The section of line through the station was electrified as part of the London, Tilbury & Southend Railway modernisation in 1962.
The mid 1970s saw the platform buildings and canopies demolished, while a new ticket office was constructed at the westbound platform entrance. During the 1980s the service levels fell and the maintenance standards dropped in parallel, leading to a prolonged period of destaffing and the dereliction of the station in general which led to the ticket office being demolished in the mid 1990s.
Following the takeover of the line by Transport for London and the formation of London Overground in 2007, minimal improvements have been made to the station. Staff are now available for the duration of the train service and a small information cabin has been provided.